Seeing The Gynecologist About Genital Lesions

Posted on: 6 April 2021

Finding a lesion on your genitals can be a bit alarming. Whether it's a lump, a bump, a sore, or a spot, you're going to wonder about its origins, what it means, and what you need to do about it. Not every genital lesion warrants a visit to the gynecologist, but many do. Keep reading to learn a little more about when genital lesions need care and what care your doctor may provide.

What genital lesions warrant a visit to the gynecologist?

It's easier to explain which lesions don't warrant a doctor's visit. The list is short: ingrown hairs. If you have a pimple-like bump in an area where you shave, put some antibiotic ointment on it twice a day for a couple of days. If it goes away, it was almost certainly just an ingrown hair. If it does not go away, then make an appointment with your gynecologist; it may be something more sinister.

You should also see a gynecologist about anything that looks like a pimple, a red spot, a brown spot, or any sort of bump. Your gynecologist may, in fact, tell you that the lump is nothing to worry about, but you're better safe than sorry.

What will your gynecologist do to diagnose your genital lesions?

Often, a gynecologist can diagnose you simply by looking at the lesion. Sometimes they may take a swab of the lesion to test it for the presence of infectious bacteria, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. In rare cases, such as if they suspect cancer, they may need to take a biopsy of the tissue. You should get the results of any swabs or biopsies within a few days.

How will your gynecologist treat the lesion?

This all depends on the cause of the lesion. If your doctor concludes it's just a blocked gland, a pimple, or a small boil, they may lance it, apply some topical antiseptic, and give you instructions for cleaning it for a few days.

If your lesion is due to a more systemic infection, like chlamydia or gonorrhea, then they will prescribe oral antibiotics. This should clear up the lesion and any other symptoms you've been having within days.

If the bump is cancerous or pre-cancerous, then your gynecologist may refer you to a specialist who can remove the lesion and administer additional treatments, like chemotherapy, as needed.

Most lumps and bumps on the genitals are nothing serious, but it's always smart to be sure. Make an appointment with your gynecologist. They may take a look and say that's nothing, but on the small chance that it is something, you'll be glad you sought care early.

Visit websites like to learn more.